“A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language.”
~W. H. Auden
Friday, April 22, 2011
Thursday, April 21, 2011
Saturday, April 16, 2011
It is a glorious thing, a swing.
It makes you forgive and forget.
It gives you an imagination,
With the feeling of your heart lifting out of your chest,
A balloon pulling its strings gently.
There is something extraordinary about seeing the trees upside down,
And listening to the world
Rhythmically whooshing past your ears.
There is proof from the calluses on your hands.
Almost like subtle battle scars,
Explaining what you’ve been doing for hours.
Sometimes your face gets so close to the ground,
You can smell the musky dirt,
And the momentum brings you back to the sky again,
To heaven again.
Saturday, April 9, 2011
“My tongue will tell the anger of my heart,
Or else my heart, concealing it, will break,
And rather than it shall, I will be free
Even to the uttermost, as I please, in words.”
-Katherine in Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew” (Act 4, Scene 3)
Monday, April 4, 2011
This is officially the 100th post of Suigeneris Thoughts. In honor of this moment I will make a list of the top ten (100 is too many…) things I’ve learned from the time I've started this blog, to now.
10. I’ve learned that people are going to be better than you at some things, and that’s ok.
9. I’ve learned that I’m loved by more people than I ever realized.
8. I’ve learned that the internet is an amazing place that can either hurt or inspire you. I’ve chosen to be inspired.
7. I’ve learned that everyone has a big heart; you just have to lure it out of some people.
6. I’ve learned that sometimes you just have to put yourself out there, and see what happens. And usually it ends up being a good decision.
5. I’ve learned that you can’t change the way people are.
4. I’ve learned that you have to know who you are, for it to be worth living.
3. I’ve learned that friends can either make you or break you.
2. I’ve learned that you are stronger than you think you are.
And most importantly,
I’ve learned that words are enough.
Words are enough to make you feel like you’re flying or crashing. Words are enough to change your mind or your heart. Words are enough to help you hang on and move forward. And words are enough to take you back into the past, to reminisce. Words are a part of you more than you realize, so learn to love them often.
Saturday, April 2, 2011
I am a poet.
I don’t just write,
I put my feelings onto a sheet of paper.
When you think about it,
Is a lot braver than keeping them inside.
Poets are people that feel.
They feel the wind telling them things,
And the trees whispering.
Every once in awhile, they don’t feel at all.
That’s when the best poetry comes about.
Sometimes the words they write don’t make sense.
And sometimes they are not supposed to.
They just love the way the delicate letters roll off of their tongue,
Taking their conscience with them.
But poets are people.
They are people like you and I,
Who have bad hair days,
And insecurity issues.
They aren’t magic or inhuman.
They are more human than the entire world combined.